- You cannot spot reduce. Fat comes off the entire body as it will, you absolutely positively cannot spot reduce. Those thigh slimming leg exercises you're pinning, will give you stronger muscles but they will not melt away fat.
- You CAN however, to a point flatten the belly, this is because stronger abdominal muscles don't balloon out as weak ones do, they "suck in your gut" and bring any abdominal fat closer to your true center giving you the appearance of a slimmer waist. It won't remove belly fat faster, but a strong core helps reduce the risk of back injuries, so it's still a good idea.
- Moles & freckles don't disappear with weight loss, and breasts shrink or stay the same size, any weight loss miracle photo with an unclear face, different hair and makeup or strange shadows over the face in the before picture FAKE!!! Also extreme amounts of weight loss result in extra skin, if you don't see it she had surgery or it's a different person.
- There is no such thing as cellulite. Save your money on miracle creams
- You cannot tone up the "extra skin" problem The truth is when you gain weight you make fat cell "closets" and fill them with "clothing" when you loose weight you "give away the clothing" but you cannot "un-build" those "closets" this is why women's belly's miraculously CAN resume their previously perfect appearance after a baby, but not after large amount of weight loss. Stop punishing yourself for having it. Extra skin is proof of your success, it can be surgically removed if it's causing skin problems but if it's a small amount, love your body with it.
- Pinning exercises on pinterest, does not strengthen the body. You have to actually DO them.
- Ladies especially: Strength training is essential and 1 hour a few times a week will not make you "bulk up" or "look like a female body builder" those ladies work out a lot I mean A LOT ~ modeling exercise equipment and competing is their job. They spend A LOT of time in the gym. You can't put on that kind of muscle by accident.
- You will lose muscle with weight loss. It's simple, think of it this way, if a body builder lifts 100 pounds a day then starts lifting 50, will he get stronger or weaker? Of course he'd get weaker, and no body builder would ever do that. You loosing 25-50 lbs is the same thing. You lift less every time you stand, your leg muscles will shrink more than the arms of course.
- Lean muscle burns more calories at rest, lost muscle results in a slower metabolism so you hit a plateau ~ do the cardio but don't forget to do some strength training too.
- Muscle cannot and does not turn to fat. Again if you stop working out or if you lift a lot less, or simply if you stop playing a sport, your muscles shrink, your metabolism slows and you might gain weight if you don't eat less, which explains why people who stop working out gain weight, but muscle does not turn into fat.
- SOME muscle soreness the next day may be normal but if you are in pain during your workout or in real pain the next day, you are risking injury. Exercise is supposed to nurture your body and promote good health, you exercise because you love yourself and want to be healthy, it's not punishment for eating.
This post is about something I'm passionate about ~ health. I recently decided to join more weight loss groups on social media in an effort to connect with more people about my work, however I am simply shocked at the misinformation out there. I will start with clearing up some common misunderstandings about strength training.
If you found these tips helpful Please share with a friend. As always I appreciate your comments and questions. If you enjoyed this post be sure to Contact me and sign up for my free Newsletter.